Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Start it off with this wholesome variation of the classic pancake. Full of fiber and healthy fat, this is a filling favorite of the pickiest eaters!
- 1 1/2 cups whole grain pancake mix
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Allspice, or ground Cloves to taste (optional)
1) Preheat non-stick skillet to medium.
2) Mix all ingredients in bowl, except blueberries. Spoon 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto skillet and sprinkle with blueberries as desired. Cook until bubbles form on surface and flip; cook until browned on the other side.
Instead of smothering with calorie-laden syrup, try topping with low-fat vanilla yogurt and fresh berry sauce.
Add variety by using apples, raspberries, or bananas in the pancakes.
In microwave safe container, cook desired berries until warm and mushy. Using fork; stir until fairly smooth. Serve warm. Store excess in the fridge and use as a yogurt or low-fat frozen yogurt topping.
Nutritional Information per Serving:
With yogurt and berry topping:
Calories 398; Total Fat 10g; Total Carbohydrates 57g (11.5g Fiber, 20g Sugar); Protein 21g
Calories 299; Total Fat 9g; Total Carbohydrates 43.5g (8.5g fiber, 9g sugar); Protein 18g