I love bananas! I can’t keep them in the house… okay that’s a lie as my husband has them in his lunches. However, I can’t have bananas, peanut/almond butter and wraps in the house. That’s about 2000 calories more than I need to eat!
But my husband takes them in his lunches and he purposely gets too many in hopes they ripen enough for me to make banana bread- or muffins. I prefer muffins as it’s easier to portion out. I can see that they make X number of muffins, so figuring serving size is simple!
Have you ever noticed that bananas have that “perfect” time to eat which only lasts a couple days? Then they get too ripe. A little too soft. Then I hate eating them.
BRING ON THE BANANA BREAD MUFFINS!
This recipe is awesome as it uses no oils and only natural sugars. Yes, still sugar, but it’s at least better than the junk they use in the stores! Honey or even pure maple syrup, though still sugar, is at least natural!
Oh, wait… I said that!
Based on this recipe on this site…
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar free applesauce
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon (optional)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 mashed overripe bananas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a dozen large muffin tins- or a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Add the applesauce, eggs, vanilla, and honey and mix well. Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and mix just so all the ingredients are moist. Pour batter into prepared muffin tins.
- Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into center of the muffin comes out clean. Let in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
Nutritional Info Per Muffin:
- Calories 184
- Fat 1 g
- Carbs 42 g
- Fiber 4 g
- Sugar 22 g
- Protein 4 g
This recipe I put in, but did not include in the nutritional value, shaved chocolate. I had some baking squares left over from a recipe the other day and my hubby knows I have no control, so to help get rid of them, I cut them up and mixed them in.
You can also add blueberries or walnuts if you desire, just remember it’s not included in the Nutritional Value.